News and Announcements
The 2023 Victoria Junior League season will be around the corner before you know it. We are putting out our formal call for volunteer coaches to help for the season (April 11 – June 25) at the University of Victoria.
All coaches must sign up online here: https://forms.gle/Hw3QfzyKt5TtNxKT8
The weekly season schedule is shared here: http://victoriajuniorfieldhockey.ca/pages/6257
(schedule may vary after registration is confirmed)
All coaches must complete the below certifications to coach in 2023 through the NCCP:
1) Making Ethical Decisions (MED)
2) Safe Sport Training – 90 minute online course through the locker
3) Making Headway – 60 minute online course through the locker
4) Coaching initiation in sport – 60 minute eLearning course in the locker ($15 with reimbursement)
5) FHC Community Course – 2 hour eLearning course in the locker ($50 with reimbursement)
If you know you want to coach this season, you can start working on these.
Details here: http://victoriajuniorfieldhockey.ca/clubs/393/pages/182500
Questions? please contact Ali Baggott, Technical Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-418-5633.
We are hosting an open session for all new players to come try the game for free! We need everyone’s help to tell their friends. Current players are welcome, too, but this session is geared at growing the game.
- Sunday, February 5, 2023
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- UVic Field 3 (rubber-based)
Please check in at 12:50 p.m. to get sized for a stick and be put in your correct age groups.
If your child is between the age of 5-18, and would like to try a new sport for FREE we look forward to seeing you. Please feel free to bring a friend but we encourage registration per participant to help with planning.
Please bring shin pads and mouth guards if you have them. No cleats. Sticks, balls, coaching and fun will be provided.
Online registration is required at: http://victoriajuniorfieldhockey.ca/forms/24747-COME-TRY-IT-FREE-DAY-SUNDAY-FEBRUARY-5-2023
Registration closes on February 1, 2023.
For questions please reach out to email@example.com
The University of Victoria field hockey team hosts York University for the 2022 U SPORTS Field Hockey Championship, set for Nov. 4-6 on the UVic Field Hockey Turf. Come cheer on the Vikes and catch Canada’s top women’s hockey right here in Victoria.
Catch the UVic Vikes hosting the York Lions in a best-of-three national championship series on Nov. 4 (4 pm), Nov. 5 (3 pm) and, if needed, Nov. 6 (3pm) at the UVic water-based pitch (Field 1).
Tickets are available at http://govikesgo.com/tickets and the games will be streamed live on CBC Gem or the CBC Sports App and website.
NEWS & NOTES
- The Vikes enter the tournament as the defending U SPORTS national champions, having won the last three national titles.
- UVic is also coming off their fourth-straight Canada West banner, besting UBC 5-1 and 4-0 in the final weekend series, Oct. 22-23, to finish the conference season with a 7-0-1 record.
- Victoria will face OUA champions York in the best-of-three series. The Lions hold a 7-2-1 conference record and 9-2-1 overall record this season.
-The Vikes and Lions last matched up at the U SPORTS championships Nov. 2-3, 2018. Victoria claimed their first McCrae Cup since 2008 with 2-1 and 3-1 wins in Toronto.
- Anna Mollenhauer earned Canada West Player of the Year honours for the second-straight season after scoring eight goals for the Vikes and doubling her 2021 season goal total (4). Mollenhauer was also named U SPORTS Player of the Year and becomes the first player to ever win the prestigious Liz Hoffman award three times.
- Chloe Langkammer and Nora Struchtrup lead the Vikes and all players in Canada West with nine goals on the year and were both recognized as Canada West All-Stars and U SPORTS All-Canadians
- Daya Shields and the Vikes’ defence have posted five shutouts in eight games this season.
- Maeve Connorton, Libby Hogg, Langkammer and Struchtrup garnered Canada West All-Star status this season, while head coach Lynne Beecroft was named the Canada West and U SPORTS coach of the year.
We kindly invite you the Victoria Junior Field Hockey League Annual General Meeting. It will be held Thursday, September 29th at 8pm on zoom.
We are currently looking for new board members:
- Equipment manager
- Members at large
- tournament coordinator
- Boys coordinator.
Topic: VJFHA AGM
Time: Sep 29, 2022 08:00 PM Vancouver
Meeting ID: 870 6186 9039
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,87061869039#,,,,912027# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 719 359 4580 US
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 309 205 3325 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 386 347 5053 US
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 564 217 2000 US
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 646 931 3860 US
+1 669 444 9171 US
Meeting ID: 870 6186 9039
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/keBHzM0PkL
Starting this Friday, June 1, Canada’s women’s national team, better known as “The WolfPack” will compete the FIH Women’s World Cup. This is Canada’s first appearance since 1994 and the team features five Vancouver island players including Victoria’s Anna Mollenhauer, Lexi De Armond, Maddie Secco, Kathleen Leahy and Duncan’s Sara Goodman.
Field Hockey Canada event page: https://fieldhockey.ca/womens-world-cup-2022/
FIH World Cup page: https://www.fih.hockey/events/world-cup/women/fih-hockey-womens-world-cup-spain-and-netherlands-2022-1388
Whether you’re a hockey fanatic or just a supporter of sport, this is a rare opportunity to watch the best in the world compete. Here’s how you can follow along and show your support:
Follow Team Canada
July 1 – Canada vs Spain (12:30 pm Pacific) – Pool C play
July 3 – Canada vs Korea (9:00 am Pacific) – Pool C play
July 7 – Canada vs Argentina (8:00 am Pacific) – Pool C play
Watch Live or on replay for Free
Visit http://watch.hockey to watch in your browser or download the Watch.Hockey app to watch replays, highlights, interviews and full games live and on replay.
Join the Watch Party and conversation on Discord during games
Join here: https://discord.com/invite/bv5uMmvXbB
(Download Discord instructions: https://fieldhockey.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/HOW-TO-JOIN-FIELD-HOCKEY-CANADA.pdf)
Send in your virtual Fan Mail to team Canada
Write a message here: https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=upk9ihuWq0yLiGztOMoj_VqYZogguPZJmLacNwBddXdUNDJGUTJUR1dWR0pGT0xYMVpEVzJMQlg0Ri4u
Good luck to our island athletes and all of Team Canada!